50 years, it is a long time and a lot has changed. So what happened in ’64?
What was the Cost of living?
- Average annual income $5,880
- Gallon of milk $1.06
- Gallon of gas $0.25
- Loaf of bread $0.21
- Pay phone (local call) $0.10
- Life Magazine $0.35 or 1 year subscription (51 issues) $5.00
- Thom McAn Shoes $9.95
- Sunshine Clothes Dryer by General Electric $99.95
- Emerson 11” portable TV $139.95
- Best Homes (pre-fabricated homes) $8,990 – 17,990
- Rolls Royce Silver Cloud III sedan $16,665
So why is 1964 significant for us?
It’s our 50th Anniversary!
Nine visionary leaders established the Canadian Industrial Management Association (Manitoba Division) in Winnipeg, Manitoba on October 8, 1964. The name changed in 1970 at the National Conference in Winnipeg to become the Canadian Institute of Management.
These nine visionary leaders became the first Winnipeg branch board members:
- Martin James Anthony Lyons
- Donald Harvey Jackman
- George Elwyn Douglas
- Serge Edward DeConinck
- Timothy Ryan
- William John Antiliff Bullman
- Charles Leslie Hill
- George Hugh Boucher
- Douglas Godfrey Renton
Since 1964, over 3,400 individuals have received the Certified in Management designation in Manitoba. Currently, Manitoba is the largest branch of CIM in Canada with close to 750 members.
On October 4th 2014 we will begin celebrating our 50th Anniversary year with a Gala Dinner at the Victoria Inn. This event is free to CIM Winnipeg Branch members and a guest. You can register by going to our events page http://www.cim-winnipeg.ca/events Deadline to register is August 29, 2014.
See you on October 4th!
CIM is pleased to announce that we have renewed ManagementDirect as a membership benefit. As a CIM member, you’ll have access to this extensive online knowledge resource packed with management best practice content.
- Dealing with an absenteeism issue?
- Need to better manage your time?
- Want a template for a strategic plan or a checklist to manage your project?
ManagementDirect’s extensive library of content includes:
- E-learning modules: from developing a management style to the principles of project management
- Leader videos: covering real-life management issues
- Thinkers: summaries of the ideas of major theorists to help problem solving
- Interactive scenarios
- Published articles: a database of articles from the Professional Manager magazine
- Checklists: hundreds of practical tick lists of activities to ensure a best practice approach
- E-journals: thousands of journals, publications and research documents offering latest industry insight
- Document outlines and research summaries on key business initiatives such as devising a marketing plan
- CPD/PDU tracking
ManagementDirect Is Better Than Ever:
New Structured Learning Journeys
This allows you to create and access ‘playlists’ of content on core management skills or hot topics. You can now create customized learning journeys specifically designed for management support.
Massively expanded e-learning content
Everything you need to progress to the next level is at your fingertips. ManagementDirect now boasts over 120 modules and 15 interactive scenarios which make it an incredibly valuable new asset to our CIM members.
Clearer graphics, quicker navigation
Not only has ManagementDirect been redesigned to give it a thoroughly modern look and feel, but it’s also clearer and simpler with improved search and navigation to ensure members can get to the information they need – when they need it.
See what ManagementDirect is all about: http://youtu.be/0M8rKPKOhH0
To sign up for ManagementDirect see our Members login page