By Thomas Ritter, CET, C.I.M., C.Mgr.
CIM Manitoba Chapter AGM – October 3, 2016
As I reflected on where the last 2 and ¾ years have gone, I tried to recall everything that has happened and has been accomplished by this board; I needed to make a list of these.
- 50th Anniversary Gala.
- Growth of the Board of Directors.
- Chapter 5 year plan development and implementation.
- Improved meeting agendas.
- Improved marketing activities.
- The use of social media locally and nationally.
- Improved relations with the U of M.
- Chapter operating costs improvements through analysis of expenditures and refining things like website, email, phone, etc.
- Participation in the HRMAM and Chamber of Commerce.
- Not For Profit Corporation changes.
- Chapter directional alignment with National.
- Standardizing the board’s activities throughout the year.
- Branch to Chapter name change.
- Constitutional bylaw development.
- Careers in Motion being replaced by the Professional Managers Symposium.
- Re-establishing PRIME and PRAISE Award presentations.
- Addition of new Chapter Life Members.
- Flattening the board structure and increasing responsibilities of all directors.
- Annual financial audits.
- The change from Graduation to Certification celebration.
- After Term Refreshers elimination.
- Inexperienced directors now having experience as these people you have elected tonight, most, are with the board longer than 2 years. New directors (two) tonight that are wanting to get involved.
I may have missed a few. Many things have happened……..and have been accomplished because of the dedication of this board and the willingness to improve.
I have had the privilege of working with these people and can tell you that I am honored to have gotten to work with all of them. They are focused and dedicated. They all share the passion for this organization and what the designation stands for. We have become a team.
I would like to think that through my time as President, we are better. But we are not there yet. It is time to pass the torch to Gilles Abraham, your new President. I know he will continue with the goals and objectives we have set out 2 years ago. He will change the direction, as required, to improve the value of membership and he has my full support and assistance wherever needed.
What is in the future?
- Things like the Charted Manager, the professional designation of the future, will be passed at the National AGM on October 22. This in itself is the biggest and best thing that could happen to our organization. It would not surprise me if this alone, when we go to market, will bring us to the 1000 member strong numbers we believe that we should be.
- Professional Managers Symposium 2017!
- National AGM and Professional Symposium October 2018!
In business and in life, we sometimes cross the paths of people we may not have if we weren’t involved in extracurricular activities. I can tell you that there is a colleague that I also consider a friend that I have today because of the CIM. I could not have done this “job” without her. She kept me in line, made me laugh, offered opinions and through the last three years I have truly enjoyed working with her. Sarah Gould, thank you for everything!
To the directors who believe in the direction we are heading. Thank you!
To the members who allowed me to lead this organization. Thank you!
Gilles, it’s all yours!