Categories for President’s Message
By Thomas Ritter, CET, C.I.M., C.Mgr.
CIM Manitoba Chapter AGM – October 3, 2016
As I reflected on where the last 2 and ¾ years have gone, I tried to recall everything that has happened and has been accomplished by this board; I needed to make a list of these.
- 50th Anniversary Gala.
- Growth of the Board of Directors.
- Chapter 5 year plan development and implementation.
- Improved meeting agendas.
- Improved marketing activities.
- The use of social media locally and nationally.
- Improved relations with the U of M.
- Chapter operating costs improvements through analysis of expenditures and refining things like website, email, phone, etc.
- Participation in the HRMAM and Chamber of Commerce.
- Not For Profit Corporation changes.
- Chapter directional alignment with National.
- Standardizing the board’s activities throughout the year.
- Branch to Chapter name change.
- Constitutional bylaw development.
- Careers in Motion being replaced by the Professional Managers Symposium.
- Re-establishing PRIME and PRAISE Award presentations.
- Addition of new Chapter Life Members.
- Flattening the board structure and increasing responsibilities of all directors.
- Annual financial audits.
- The change from Graduation to Certification celebration.
- After Term Refreshers elimination.
- Inexperienced directors now having experience as these people you have elected tonight, most, are with the board longer than 2 years. New directors (two) tonight that are wanting to get involved.
I may have missed a few. Many things have happened……..and have been accomplished because of the dedication of this board and the willingness to improve.
I have had the privilege of working with these people and can tell you that I am honored to have gotten to work with all of them. They are focused and dedicated. They all share the passion for this organization and what the designation stands for. We have become a team.
I would like to think that through my time as President, we are better. But we are not there yet. It is time to pass the torch to Gilles Abraham, your new President. I know he will continue with the goals and objectives we have set out 2 years ago. He will change the direction, as required, to improve the value of membership and he has my full support and assistance wherever needed.
What is in the future?
- Things like the Charted Manager, the professional designation of the future, will be passed at the National AGM on October 22. This in itself is the biggest and best thing that could happen to our organization. It would not surprise me if this alone, when we go to market, will bring us to the 1000 member strong numbers we believe that we should be.
- Professional Managers Symposium 2017!
- National AGM and Professional Symposium October 2018!
In business and in life, we sometimes cross the paths of people we may not have if we weren’t involved in extracurricular activities. I can tell you that there is a colleague that I also consider a friend that I have today because of the CIM. I could not have done this “job” without her. She kept me in line, made me laugh, offered opinions and through the last three years I have truly enjoyed working with her. Sarah Gould, thank you for everything!
To the directors who believe in the direction we are heading. Thank you!
To the members who allowed me to lead this organization. Thank you!
Gilles, it’s all yours!
Dr. Matthew Jelavic, C.Mgr.
As I begin my second year of presidency, I am very proud of the many accomplishments we have made collectively as an Institute, providing value to our individual and corporate members and academic partners. In my last message to the membership, I outlined the focus and strategic priorities for the future of our Institute; this message will reflect on our accomplishments from this past year. As a result of the outstanding work and dedication from our volunteers and staff, we have reached the following milestones in the Institute’s history:
- The strategic commitment to roll out Management Direct, the world’s most comprehensive management intelligence tool forming a cornerstone of our professional and educational offerings.
- The imminent launch of an innovative modern website, which has taken user engagement and access to the right information at the right time to a whole new level.
- The complete adoption of digital social media in our communications, messaging and outreach efforts. We now have fully managed social outlets on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Pinterest, with more to come.
- Launching Management Matters, our weekly digital News Brief and source for the latest management news, developments, networking and professional development opportunities and events.
- A suite of membership services including group discounts and affinity programs unparalleled in the history of the Institute. The return on your membership investment is now more evident than ever.
- Fully developed corporate membership packages and promotional materials allowing the Institute to reach out to the business world, providing unparalleled value to our partners.
- A fully developed corporate sponsorship package to help engage the business world in CIM events, conferences and professional development opportunities.
- The development of a corporate membership program for our Nationally Accredited educational partners allowing their organizations and students to experience the many benefits the CIM has to offer.
- The amending of our constitution to conform to the new Canada Not-For-Profit Corporations’ Act, which will allow extensive member interaction and engagement in the governance of our Institute.
- A firm commitment to an environmentally sustainable strategy to go digital where possible, reducing our carbon footprint and providing more agility in the development of products and services.
- The transition to the latest technologies in the National Office to ensure exceptional member services, communications responsiveness and reliability.
- Fiscal efficiencies in our operations that have resulted in more membership value.
As Canada’s professional management association, all staff and volunteers are committed to providing value to our members, to help them succeed and develop. I look forward to leading the Institute into the future with a firm commitment to the membership that any investment in the Institute will provide real value.
– this article was originally published in The Canadian Manager magazine August 2014
CIM Winnipeg Branch Membership & Colleagues
I am extremely excited and honored to begin my new role in the position of Board President of the CIM Winnipeg Branch. I was a board member from 2005 through 2009 as the Director, Professional Manager Services. I rejoined the Board in 2011 as Vice President of Advanced Designation Development and became the President Elect in the fall of 2013. I have been fortunate to have worked with some excellent board members throughout the past few years, which has provided me with a solid understanding about how the Canadian Institute of Management operates – both locally and Nationally.
The team effort of our board members has been instrumental in enabling the CIM Winnipeg Branch to move forward on the path that has been set by our past Presidents. It is my objective to continue along this path of ‘forward thinking’ and continue building our branch to be a strong a vibrant membership. I am also happy to announce that we will re-establish our board to have four vice-presidents.
Our goals and objectives remain clear.
- Provide value to our members through the Careers in Motion series and other activities.
- Support the students through activities around their studies.
- Improve communications to our membership.
- Strive to improve the value of your membership through professional development activities.
- Grow our membership by working closely with the University of Manitoba, Extended Education, Continuing Education.
A close colleague of mine said to me quite recently, “I don’t want to hear, ‘What does CIM mean?’ – I want to hear, ‘I’ve heard great things about the Institute’.”
I take those words to heart. The Board of Directors will continue our efforts to hear these words from members and non-members.
In closing, I want to say that the Board of Directors is in place to serve you, the membership. We want your input. Anyone wishing to contribute their thoughts, ideas and volunteer their services are most welcome to approach us! Our door is open!
If you would like to volunteer some time to our worthwhile organization, we have a number of events that we are planning and will need your help with! Please contact Sarah, our Branch Administrator at email@example.com with your thoughts and ideas and for volunteer opportunities.
Thomas Ritter, C.I.M., P. Mgr.
President, CIM Winnipeg Branch